Wednesday, November 30, 2011

One Movie to See and Another to Skip (No. 80)

Movie to See: Cecil B. Demented

I am not a John Waters fan in any sense, but I did enjoy the way he flipped off the status quo in Hollywood with this film. Although many directors and movies give lip service to doing things their own way, this one is crude enough to show Hollywood that this is not a joke - John Waters does NOT like Hollywood.
 
That aside, this is still a John Waters film, which means it has all of the same elements I dislike in his movies: absurdly crude (more than it really needs to be), overly sexed (for no good reason - I mean, I accept that it sometimes has a place...), and generally with an eye to the world as viewed by a hormonal 13 year old. I'm just not impressed by him. I realize he was cutting edge at the time, but now it just looks lame (for me, it hasn't aged well at all). The movie is very "meh," but I still like, and generally approve of, Waters' message in this one. Accordingly, I give it a thumbs up to watch it.


Movie to Skip: Tell Me Something
This really was a yawn inducing film. The graphic parts of this movie are very convincing, but wholly unnecessary for a movie that is really more of a mystery than a horror movie. I'm not even sure I'd call it a thriller, to be honest, but I suppose there is at least a little suspense. Overall, however, the movie is just mediocre in execution. Throw in the fact that this is a foreign language film (which means you'll have to read everything) and the extra work required to watch this one just doesn't make it worth it. Because of that, I say skip it. There are plenty of other boring mystery films out there in English.