Wednesday, April 06, 2011

One Movie to See and Another to Skip (No. 40)

Movie to See: Frida

This is an interesting biography of the Mexican artist Frida Kahlo, the title role of which is played by the beautiful (dare I say, iconic?) Mexican actress, Salma Hayek. I've got to say that I was pleasantly surprised by Hayek's performance in this movie. Generally, when I think of a really good Mexican actress, Hayek typically isn't on my short list. Hell, most of the great Mexican actresses I can think of are dead! (i.e. Delores Del Rio, Lupe Velez, etc.) And then I thought, why didn't Penelope Cruz play this role? But then again, she's actually from Spain... so that probably wouldn't work out very well... kind of like having Canadians or Brits play great American icons. (Although it was humorous to see flip-flopped nationalities in Canadian Bacon, which was likely one of the few redeeming qualities of that film, in retrospect.) Anyway, the point is that Hayek really brought life into this role. 
  
The life of Kahlo was fascinating, apparently, which certainly helps a good biography. While, admittedly, I was not familiar with Kahlo's work prior to the movie, and I can't say that I'm overwhelmed by her style (it's just not my particular aesthetic), I can say that my mind is happy to have been educated about her life. Kahlo led a sordid and interesting life after overcoming significant challenges in her youth. I think this movie portrays that struggle well, and it was enjoyable to watch. I do think that some of Kahlo's life was glossed over a little to briefly, and I wasn't always over-joyed with some of the aspects of her career that the film focused upon, the artistic element of the film was damn near perfect. Many of the scene changes were literally cut right out of Kahlo's paintings, which was well done... even though I could see some critics considering that move to be... trite. I think it worked, and added to the story behind the works themselves. (Which was probably the point...) 
  
This is a movie worth watching. I think I prefer a dramatized biography over a straight documentary as it breathes a little more life into an already interesting story. If this had been a documentary, I probably would have fallen asleep... but the warmth that the actors brought to the role gave Kahlo's story the vitality necessary to tell the tale. I probably have to recommend this film on a straight 'historically interesting' basis. Had it not been a biography, it would not have been as compelling, although I think it still would have worked as a film in its own right. I don't know what liberties were taken with Kahlo's life in order to tell this version of her story, but the more factually based this movie was, the more intriguing she becomes. 








Movie to Skip: A Tale of Two Sisters
I don't have a lot to say about this one because I think the language barrier may have tripped me up a little more than usual. Technically this movie is a horror film, although I would be at home calling it a 'supernatural thriller'... if there's any real difference. Like most Asian ghost films, the ghosts in this film are far more menacing than what you'll typically find in a Hollywood version. Asian ghosts know you on an intimate level, regardless of whether they have any reason to actually 'know' your history. Because of that, they understand how to terrify you with your own history and to torture you with images from your past. I don't understand how that works, but apparently Asian ghosts can do that... 
  
What is confusing about this movie is determining just who the ghosts are. It's obvious from the get-go that there are ghosts, but you have to pay very close attention to just who is interacting with whom in order to figure out who's there... and who isn't. When you're reading the movie, it's difficult to pick up on the subtle clues of character interaction that give you that answer. 
  
There are a few surprises in the film, which was nice. But as I stated above, sometimes I was a bit confused when the reveal was made... either because I missed some clues along the way, or I'd unconsciously figured it out before hand and simply didn't realize the 'surprise' was still a mystery. 
  
I think a lot was lost on me with this film. But then again, maybe it just wasn't as good as I am trying to make it. Either way, I could probably have skipped this film and have been fine with it.