Wednesday, March 02, 2011

One Movie to See and Another to Skip (No. 33)

Movie to See: Unthinkable
I don't have a lot to say about this movie. Ultimately it is a movie that asks the question: if we don't have the stomach to fight terrorists with the same (or worse) brutal tactics that they are more than willing to use against us, can we win the fight? Unthinkable is mostly concerned with the use and application of torture in a situation where time is in short supply and millions are about to die. Do we do it if it will get results? Is there ever a time that it's ok to do it? Is there a time when not doing it would be a moral wrong? These are tough, deep questions, but I don't think that Unthinkable really answers them; an answer is proposed, but it is incomplete and there is still plenty left on the table to discuss.

Not a terrible movie; not a true thinking man's movie. While the questions are deep, I'm not sure the execution did them justice. It was 'ok,' but nothing everyone necessarily needs to run out and watch. I think there are better avenues to honestly explore these questions, as this one has a fairly predictable bent, which doesn't make a good platform for real discourse. Frankly, I think "Straw Man" would have been a more apropos title under the circumstances... And that's all I have to say about that. The only real reason I'm calling this a movie to "see" is because I think tough questions should be asked, and this movie could at least get the ball rolling in our own mind.




Movie to Skip: Timer
 
At times this movie can be very slow and a tad preachy.  The funny thing about the 'preachy' part of this movie is that there really isn't anything to preach about.  The point of the movie is the "tension" between whether or not it is ok for us to discover our soul mates through the use of an implanted medical device, or if we should go about looking for that special someone o-natural...  Unfortunately, unless you're a high school girl, or a much older woman (or gay man, I guess) who has yet to find that special someone and are lying awake at night wondering when Jiminy Cricket, your fairy godmother, or some other magical entity will come along to point you towards that special someone who has always been out there behind that mystic coupling veil waiting for you, well ... who cares?!  I mean, REALLY!?!  Wow, do I want to go slam my hand in a door right now just thinking about that ridiculous drivel...
 
The theme and plot aside, there are a few chuckles here and there.  But it's awfully hard to really get behind a movie where the theme and plot get in the way...  If you're a high school girl, then maybe you'll enjoy this film.  If you're not, well, I guess it isn't too bad if a high school girl makes you watch this film, but I wouldn't set out to watch it on your own.  And if you are hanging out with high school girls that are making you watch movies like this, and you're not a high school girl yourself... or her parent... you are WAY creepy... and you might just enjoy this flick.  Creep.  For the rest of us, this just wasn't my thing.  And in order to keep my manhood in check, there is no way I could recommend this to anyone.