Sunday, February 19, 2012

Observations From the Road

So, I'm sitting in a hotel.  I've packed my bags, am waiting for checkout time so that I don't have to sit too long in the lobb for for my ride to the airport.  And I think hey, I'll turn on the TV and see what's on this early on a Sunday morning.  And what do I see?  BEYBLADE!!
 

It looks like your typical Saturday-morning anime fest.  You know, kids with unexplained magical powers battling in strange abandoned arenas that apparently dot the countryside in Japan.  You know, just like when WE were kids, right?  I mean, YOU were a magical gladiator roaming the countryside without your parents anywhere to be found too, weren't you?  Of course you were!  

Anyway, as I'm sitting here wondering what kind of shenanigans this group is going to get into, the kids stumble into their second arena of the show (for a 20 minute show, these kids are constantly engaged in "combat").  And then I actually start paying attention to what's going on.  These kids are spinning tops, dumping them together into an open space, and then watching to see which top knocks the others out of the circle...

This a show about kids playing with tops?!?  Oh my...  What's worse, this is a show dedicated to selling a product... spinning tops... for kids to buy and then battle it out.  Holy crap!  How ludicrous, right?  I can't believe this actually works!  All I can hear in the back of my head is some guy yelling out - DREIDEL COMBAT!!!

This is just really weird.  And I thought the card game cartoons were odd...  I keep thinking back to the stupid kid games I used to play and am wondering how I can possibly exploit one of those stupid games for mega millions.  How about a series of head-to-head battles of Ball-in-the-Cup?  Paddle-ball wars?  I've GOT to think of something...